Work commenced this week fifty years ago on Rome’s first apartment house. James H. O’Neill planned to erect a three-story brick veneer building on East Fourth Avenue near the corner of Second Street, next door to his residence.
The building was to have six five-room apartments of the most modern construction. The cost was placed at about $15,000.
Much interest was being displayed in the new venture, and already more occupants had applied than there would be apartments.
Another evidence of the prosperity of the city was the fact that several builders of rental homes reported that tenants were applying before the houses were completed.
On account of the objections of two property owners to the paving on East Third Avenue, the work was suspended until the matter could be settled.
Mrs. Eben Hillyer and Miss Anne Ragan, who resided on the block between East Third and Fourth streets, objected to the high school property jutting out into the street, to the fact there would be no sidewalk on the north side, and to the earth-retaining wall of the bluff. They also objected to the asphalt macadam paving, feeling that the natural earth, rough chert, gravel or broken rock was the only proper material to place on such a hill.
Mayor Yancey expressed the opinion that the street was not used enough to warrant paving, however, it was pointed out that with two leading churches and a public school situated along the street it was used considerably.
City Council voted to remedy the offset in the curbing at Shorter Hill, and to curb both sides of the avenue, setting the street in a straight line from the Presbyterian church to the N.C & St. L railroad.
In spite of Alderman Daniel’s efforts to reduce the speed of automobiles throughout the district to 8 miles an hour, the ordinance was tabled so the speed limit remained 8 miles an hour in the fire limits and 15 miles an hour outside the fire limits. … City Council voted unanimously to have Rome’s water works operated on a straight meter basis, abolishing the flat rates. This was expected to remedy muddy water, stop waste and increase the profits of the water works. … City Council created the office of plumbing and water inspector, electing Fred Hanson to the post at a salary of $125 a month. … Paul I. Morris was appointed assistant in the office of D.W. Simmons, clerk of Superior Court. … City Council authorized the purchase of one or more street sprinklers and an automobile sprinkler was being considered. …
Sidewalks were being paved on South Broad Street where the street had been paved. … Rome’s tax rate for 1912 was $1.35 for each $100 of property, an increase of 10 cents over 1911. … J. Kuttner & Co., popular department store, planned to remodel its interior and put up a new front during the summer. … Mrs. W.M. Henry’s new publication, “The Woman’s Magazine,” came off the press this week in 1912. She was assisted by Mrs. Beulah Moseley. …