IF ANYONE SMOKES:
Use heavy, hard-to-tip ashtrays. Empty them often, when contents are cool.
Avoid smoking in bedrooms and never smoke in bed.
Avoid smoking when sleepy or under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
The sooner you are aware of a fire, the sooner you can escape. Working smoke alarms cut your chances of dying in a house fire in half!
Place one smoke alarm on every floor of your home, plus one in or near each bedroom.
Smokes rises, so try to install alarms on the ceiling 4 to 12 inches from the wall. If you have very high ceilings, install alarms high on the walls (at least 4-12 inches from the ceiling). Make sure you can safely reach the alarms to test them. Alarms should be three feet or more from windows or air ducts.
Stay safe by following these smoke alarms tips:
Test smoke alarms monthly.
Replace alarm batteries twice a year.
Never borrow the battery from the smoke alarm for another use.
Replace your smoke alarms every 7-10 years.
Have your furnace and fireplaces inspected annually.
Inspect space heaters for wear and tear, especially cords, connectors and valves.
Keep combustibles at least three feet away from space heaters or fireplaces.
Use space heaters only when you are awake.
Use metal or glass fire screens on fireplaces.
Burn only seasoned firewood in fireplaces.
IN THE KITCHEN:
Keep appliances clear of grease, food debris, dishtowels, packaging and other flammables.
Never leave cooking food unattended.
Wear short or close fitting sleeves when cooking.
Smother a grease fire by turning off the heat and sliding the lid carefully over the pan. Dont use water, baking soda or fire extinguishers they can spread grease fires.
Close the oven door and turn off the heat to smother a fire in the oven or microwave oven.
Instead of plug adapters, choose surge-protecting power strips.
Never run an extension cord under a rug, across a doorway or where it might be pinched.
Repair or replace lose or frayed electrical cords or plugs.
Dont overload electrical outlets with high-wattage appliances.
Keep combustibles clear of heat-producing appliances and lamps.
Use only recommended-wattage light bulbs in lighting fixtures.
Have a licensed electrician check your home wiring from time to time